St. Mark's Lutheran School provides a strong, standards-based curriculum for grades K-8. As a community of life-long learners, St. Mark's holds high expectations for all students. St. Mark's is committed to glorifying God by providing educational excellence in a safe, nurturing, Christ-centered environment. The rigorous curriculum encourages students to develop critical thinking skills and depth of knowledge and character.
The curriculum and activities at St. Mark's span a wide variety of subjects for students to experience. St. Mark's Lutheran School's philosophy incorporates the belief that each person is a unique individual with God given interests and abilities. By exposing students to a multitude of experiences, students are able to develop their talents, find areas in which to be successful and develop new interests.
Recently Adopted Curriculum
St. Mark's adopted Amplify Science for the 2018-2019 school year. This curriculum will continue to foster our mission of developing St. Mark's students to be lifelong learners, complex thinkers, and effective communicators. Amplify Science is a collaboration between the curriculum experts at the University of California, Berkley’s Lawrence Hall of Science and the instructional technology experts at Amplify. Amplify Science was built to address 100% of the Next Generation Science Standards.
In each Amplify Science unit, from kindergarten to eighth grade, students are asked to inhabit the role of a scientist or engineer in order to investigate a real-world problem. These problems provide relevant, 21st century contexts through which students will investigate different scientific phenomena. Once the problem context is clear, students collect evidence from multiple sources and through a variety of modalities. They move back and forth from first-hand investigation to second-hand analysis and synthesis, formulating an increasingly complex explanatory capacity for the problem at hand.
Step Up to Writing Handy Pages
Reading, writing, listening and speaking are a part of every curricular area. "Step Up to Writing", a practical, articulated writing program in grades K-8 provides students with systematic, multi-sensory instruction in expository and narrative writing. The program's strategies give students organizational tools with which to organize ideas, create outlines, summaries, and note-taking.
Sopris West Educational Services, a Cambium Learning company has given St. Mark's Lutheran School permission to post their Step Up to Writing Handy pages.
Download the Primary Level Handy Pages (1.2 Mb)
Download the Intermediate Level Handy Pages (1.5 Mb)
Download the Secondary Level Handy Pages (1.6 Mb)
The St. Mark's Elementary School serves students in grades K through four.
- K-4 classrooms are self-contained with one teacher providing instruction in the core subject areas.
- Core Subjects: math, science, language arts (reading, writing, grammar, spelling, and vocabulary), social studies, and religion
- Our French, physical education, vocal music, computer, and art teachers, as well as our librarian, provide specialized instruction.
- Exploratory Experiences: leadership and field trips
- Students may begin instrumental instruction in the fourth grade.
Middle School and Junior High Curriculum
St. Mark's middle, junior high, and college prep, curriculums provide students with an extensive breadth of knowledge to ensure success in higher education.
- Grades 5 and 6 are on an eight-period class rotation. Our curriculum encourages the development of personal responsibility, social intelligence, time management, and leadership skills.
- Specialty teachers in computer/technology, physical education, and our librarian provide students with a well-rounded academic program.
- Core Subjects: math, science, social studies, literature, writing, grammar, spelling, vocabulary, social studies, and religion
- Fine Arts: art, vocal music, handbells, and beginning band
- Exploratory Experiences: Spanish, Chinese, leadership, Sacramento/San Francisco field trip for 5th grade and El Camino Pines field trip for 6th grade
- The junior high program operates on an eight-period class rotation. Continuing from middle school, our junior high curriculum encourages the development of personal responsibility, social intelligence, time management, leadership skills, plus community service.
- Core Subjects: algebra, geometry, life science, physical science, world history, American history, literature, and English
- Additional Subjects: religion, physical education, Spanish, and computers/technology
- Fine Arts: art, drama, vocal music, handbells, and concert band
- Exploratory Experiences: leadership, Catalina Island field trip for 7th grade and the East Coast field trip for 8th grade